Confessions from an Ex Fat Boy

These are what family and friends are for....

Posted On 9:59 PM by Keeven |


I never started, thinking I will ever reach this far. Similar to most people, I started my weight loss mission by not allowing myself to eat fast food, cutting down my carbs intake by half and it made life at that moment seem meaningless. Today,I confessed if it wasn't for the support of this few individuals, I wouldn't had made it. I receive a photograph from a dear friend, Leon today (refer on the left). It was a taken back in 2008 in our university gym. On the left is Leon and I'm the guy on the right. I was still in the midst of losing weights. Looking back at the photograph reminds me how my journey began. Inspired by that photograph Leon send to me, I'm dedicating this entry to 5 people who have made a difference in my life when I was down,when I was still struggling in my weight loss journey and during those times I needed a push from the back.

1.My Good Friend Leon – Leon is probably the closest friend I have in my life right now which amazes me everyday. Not only because he is one of the most smartest person I know in college but mostly because at first glance we are an unlikely match. When I first met him back in college, Leon was the personification of "KIASU". I on the other hand am a person who can care less. Yet we are like "SIONG DI" (blood brothers) on the INSIDE. We have the same values,morals and thinking. I know he will ALWAYS tell me the truth even if it hurts and that is a GREAT thing that money cant buy. We ALL need more honesty in our lives.
It was Leon who asked me to accompany to the university gym, and, stupidly, I actually said yes. At that time, I am usually very quite. Maybe its due to the fact that I was stuck in a FAT PIG body. But Leon was very motivating. We understood each other. I figured if Leon was at the gym, I wouldn't be so ashamed with myself. If it wasn't for him, this journey would never had begin.

2. My GF Christina - Who reminds me so much of who I really am. She didn't mind when I was a BIG MONSTER. She is way too nice and cares sometimes more than she should. Without any doubt she is so much a part of me now that I don’t know what I would do if she was not there. She is a fighter even if she does not know it, and she was always there throughout my whole transformation journey! She help cooked for me according to my diet and supported me when i was on the verge of giving up. Thank you for sticking up with me till today.

3. My friend Say
– Say is my dearest friend and my gym partner. Unlike me, Say was a normal person. He is not fat. Nevertheless, he has always supported me in gym. He inspires me everyday to push the extra mile. Say is one of the smartest people I know and he is also one of the funniest. He taught me always to push those last reps, no matter WHAT!!

4.My brother Steven
– I always say my brother Steven is one of the most talented writers in the world as far as I am concerned even if he does not think so. He recently won first price in an essay competition and his face was all over the News Straits Times. But more than that he is one of the most caring people I know.
He inspires me EVERYDAY to be a better person. He was also fat and in the last few years he worked hard and he inspires me everyday to lose weight and become a better person.

5. My Mother Patricia – My mother was likely the ULTIMATE mom and I don’t say that just because she's my Mom. My mother is a STRONG woman and had an unbelievable capacity to LOVE. She goes all out for anyone she love especially for her kids. I am very proud to be her son and I will be there for her till the day I leave this place.

So, when you're trying to lose weight, you've got to face many challenges . Temptation will always be there to bring you down. One place you can always go, your close family and friends. Let them know that you need their help and encouragement, and most of all, someone to be accountable to.

If you don't have a family and friends, is ok. Just start finding a diet buddy. Groups like Weight Watchers or fat loss groups on Facebook contains other people who want to lose weight. When you are among a group with similar interest, you're sure to find them a source of motivation.The best part it could be the start of a beautiful friendship!
2 Response to 'These are what family and friends are for....'
  1. SL
    http://keevenlim.blogspot.com/2009/08/these-are-what-family-and-friends-are.html?showComment=1251483176933#c6740003736186486421'> August 29, 2009 at 2:12 AM

    Welcome to the blogosphere. I'm eager to read about your journey. And congratulations on a job well done!! You're so right about the "friends and family" group. Bloggers certainly help fill the encouragement/help role!

     

  2. Keeven
    http://keevenlim.blogspot.com/2009/08/these-are-what-family-and-friends-are.html?showComment=1251515958709#c3175192940759656524'> August 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

    Thanks so much for the support! It has been an emotionally but amazing journey. We sometimes forget about family and friends around us but they are the ones which had made all the difference. Never take them for granted. I'll be writing more..