Confessions from an Ex Fat Boy

The Fat Boy Workout

Posted On 12:11 PM by Keeven |



Today, I shall share with you one of my key routine to weight loss that I discover by trial and error. When I first started out my quest for weight loss, I started like what most people will do - "cardio". Yes, our favorite common enemy. I was very eager to lose my belly and I approach a trainer for help. The trainer suggest me to do lots of cardio. So I had been doing lots of brisk walking with steady speed (I had to walk initially because my knees couldn't support my upper body weight). And then I did very light shoulder press, bench press and got knows how many crunches and other ab exercises. And to my disbelieve, I only lose 1 pound after 1 month. Trust me, with the amount of effort put in, losing 1 pound was just not worth it. After all, I have to pay the trainer so much just to lose 1 pound. So, I decided to do my own research. And I compiled a series of exercises, modified a little bit of resistance which then form my Fat Boy workout plan.

The Fat Boy routine is as follows:

My diet:
Skim or at least low fat milk, egg whites, chicken breasts, brown rice or whole wheat bread and a significant amount of fruits and vegetables. I split my meals to 5 small meals a day and drank lots of water. My dinner consists of low carbs.

Monday
10 minutes warm up on treadmill.
Chest and Triceps followed by 15 minutes on treadmill
Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Incline Bench Press
Pec Deck Fly
Dumbbell One Arm Triceps Extension
EZ Bar Tricep Extensions

Wednesday
10 minutes warm up on treadmill.
Back and biceps followed by 15 minutes on treadmill
Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown
Wide-Grip Pulldowns Behind The Neck
Cable Rows
Preacher Curl
Concentration Curls

Friday
10 minutes warm up on treadmill.
Shoulders followed by 15 minutes on treadmill
Barbell Shoulder Press
Lateral Dumbbell Raise
Front Dumbbell Raise
Bent Over Dumbbell Rear Delt Raise
Barbell Shrug

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

10 minutes on the stepper
10 minutes on the stationary bicycle
This is 1 cycle:
Barbell Squat
Dumbbell Rear Lunge
Glute Kickback
Perform 4 cycles.

If you need guidance on how to perform those exercises, you can refer here. They have huge database with various types of exercises along with videos to guide you.

Workout Description

Week 1. Focus on preparing your body.

Sets: Perform 4 sets of each exercise
Reps: 8 - 10 per set
Rest: 60 - 90 seconds between sets

This amount of repetitions is needed to activate the muscle fibres which have seldom been use all this while. Moderate rep of 8-10 will accomplish this better than a low rep range or even a very high rep range.

In relation to the resistance, the weight you choose must be heavy enough that the last few reps must be a struggle. If you are not able to complete at least eight reps then the weight is too heavy. However, if you are able to complete the full amount of reps quite easily then the weight is to light. Do take some time to figure this out.

Week 2. Focus on the development of muscle tone and muscular endurance.
Hence, I alter the reps/rest intervals.
Sets: You will perform 3 sets of each exercise.
Reps: 15 – 20 per set
Rest: 30 seconds between sets.

You will repeat this routine 3 times. That makes a total of six weeks. After that, another different workout will have to be plan as our body are able to adapt. Don't worry. I'll teach you that as well.
Frankly, I followed the above routine and on my 4th week, I've lost around 11 pounds and started to see difference around my belly. I lost 2 and a half inches off my waist. The awesome thing is I did not do any abs exercise. The secret? The FatBoy Workout is designed to jump start beginners by hitting those big muscle group. Each day we focus on hitting 1 big muscle group. And i emphasis a lot on the lower body as it really takes up a lot of my energy at the same time help develop my strength for running.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a comment, and I'll reply you as soon as possible. Try The Fat Boy Workout and tell me the results!
5 Response to 'The Fat Boy Workout'
  1. Cole Walter Mellon
    https://keevenlim.blogspot.com/2009/09/fat-boy-workout.html?showComment=1251988760542#c2025509883571767312'> September 3, 2009 at 10:39 PM

    I've focused almost 100% on cardio up to this point, because working with weights seemed to jack with my losing numbers on the scale. However, I'm now close enough to my goal weight that I'm going to start incorporating some lifting as well, so I'm going to take a very close look at this routine. Thanks for providing it!

     

  2. Chai Latté
    https://keevenlim.blogspot.com/2009/09/fat-boy-workout.html?showComment=1251990085532#c4098141565856676479'> September 3, 2009 at 11:01 PM

    Hey, thanks for checking out my blog..
    Your results are amazing, and absolutely inspiring! I look forward to reading your posts!

     

  3. Jay
    https://keevenlim.blogspot.com/2009/09/fat-boy-workout.html?showComment=1254055061546#c8723202763602761947'> September 27, 2009 at 8:37 PM

    Congrats on your weight loss bro. Nicely done and am very happy for you.

    I know weight loss is not an easy task but we've made it. I salute to everyone who has succeed and in the process of losing weight.

    Btw Keeven, are you using any kind of supplement right now?

     

  4. Keeven
    https://keevenlim.blogspot.com/2009/09/fat-boy-workout.html?showComment=1254063891377#c17496334600636354'> September 27, 2009 at 11:04 PM

    Hi JJ,
    Thanks for the compliments. I respect as well to anyone taking the first step to face their challenge. I do take supplements. My Vitamins which is really good. It has B complex,E,C and zinc. I'll recommend it to you. Its called Subrex from Abbott. Is really hard to find all this vitamins in 1 capsule. And this is one of the few. And I take whey protein. Have recently laid off on creatine. I feel I'm getting to huge. =)

     

  5. eric
    https://keevenlim.blogspot.com/2009/09/fat-boy-workout.html?showComment=1265627927526#c7958068112817090708'> February 8, 2010 at 7:18 PM

    hi, i found out ur blog thru lyn. congrats on ur losing weight,bro!

    i found out tat da workout exercise tat u listed out almost same wif mine. da diffrent is im focus on one muscle group each day.

    wanna ask helps from u bro..
    can u share ur diet plan more specifically?

    i dun hv diet plan.. within tis month i just eat like normal on breakfast lunch, n i cutting down da portion of dinner.tats it..

    my weight still remains...

    any suggestion bro?
    thx 1st